Drinking tea has numerous benefits. Here are a few convincing reasons to turn down your cup of joe for a tea instead.
- Tea is filled with antioxidants. These antioxidants fight free radicals (the bad things that can cause cancer, diabetes, and other inflammatory issues) and improve the immune system. A recent study showed that those who drank four cups or more of green tea daily had a 32% lower risk of having a heart attack and lower levels of LDL cholesterol due to improving blood flow and reducing clotting.
- Although studies are mixed on if tea can help to prevent cancer, antioxidants are great way to prevent and fight serious issues and keep your body healthy.
Focus and Energy (minus the crash)
- Containing an amino acid called L-theanine, tea improves energy levels and focus without the crash of something like coffee.
Prevention of Neurological Disease
- High in “ORAC” (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) and fighting free radicals can lower the risk of Parkinson’s disease and other neurological disease. Green tea contains polyphenols which help maintain certain parts of the brain responsible for learning and memory.
Burn Fat and Improve Muscle Endurance
- A study on mice showed that green tea helps the body in prioritizing fat over glucose to burn when in need of energy and improve general endurance. Although conducted on mice, studies on humans also show tremendous benefits.
Whether you’re an athlete, trying to boost your immune system, or just trying to have a cozy evening with tea, I think the above are great reasons as to why to switch your sports drink, coffee, or soda for a green tea next time.